Young Einsteins!
Over the last term the children have been lucky enough to learn about various aspects of science. Jane Agius, (Elsie's mum) has been in our LC every Friday conducting a range of experiments with the children. Below is an outline of the sessions that Jane ran, as well as some photos and thoughts from the kids.
The teachers and children of Alveare want to say a big THANK YOU to Jane for donating her time, resources and expertise so we could share in these Science investigations.
Session 2: Elements, molecules, chemical reactions, interfaces and densityEXPERIMENT: lava lamps
Session 3: Surfactants, hydrophobic vs hydrophillic, surface tension of liquidsEXPERIMENTS: Pepper on water experiment'magic milk' experiment
Session 4: States of matter (liquid vs solid vs gas), dry ice vs ice, properties of carbon dioxideEXPERIMENTS: Using dry ice
"We tipped the baking soda and vinegar into the volcano and it erupted and went splashing everywhere!" FK
"I was thinking the bubbles would be nice and warm, but they were not!" PB
"This was pretty fun, it was my favourite because when we added the food dye and water the lava lamp looked cool!" HBS
"When I scooped this up it was warm and I was hoping I wouldn't touch the water where the dry ice was." WH
"I loved this experiment. When the water got tipped over the dry ice and the smoke came out, that was my favourite part" NA
"I thought it was really cool how you added stuff together and it looked like green meteors hitting each other." ML
"I thought it was cool how the pepper all went away!" EB
"It was cool when you put the soap on your finger and it make the pepper spread away from your finger." OB
"I wasn't really surprised at the way this worked as I have read this experiment before in a book." KH
"It was strange to think about what would happen to the pepper" TC
"This is a photo of the water (with pepper) dispersing." SF
"
"I liked the dry ice the best because it was really dramatic." MP
"I liked it how the milk and the colours danced together." KB
" I liked how the colours changed in the milk. To make them change you added detergent." MS
"It was cool how when we added detergent to the colours and it made them all move and swirl." BB
"The milk was spreading around" MM
"This is food dye mixed with milk. When we added detergent all the colours stared moving until the whole bowl was colorful." KL
"I really liked this because all of the colours rose up. "AE
"This was cool because you could keep the colours moving by adding detergent." WH
" I thought the dry ice was really cool. I didn't really know what it was and I thought it was amazing how the bubbles came up." JF
"I was scooping the dry ice to put into the ballon. When the dry ice went in the balloon started blowing up." FR
"Jane used a piece of cloth to create a huge bubble. It reminded me of an ostrich egg!" EA
"We scooped dry ice into the soapy water to make heaps of bubbles." MS




















