The inner workings of our brain - how do we remember things?


Today Alveare were lucky enough to be visited by Briana Davie (a medical research scientist), who provided us with some information about how the brain works. Brianna has been partnered with BEPS as part of the CSIRO 'Science in Schools' program.

As we have been inquiring into stories this semester, we thought it would be great to invite Briana in to our Learning Community to help us understand how our brain creates memories and explain how we are able to do simple things like move our bodies, and retell an experience or story to a friend. 

We used balloons to make models of the brain and label the new parts we had learnt about. We then set off to create our own 'mind maps' linking all the memories and experiences we have created overtime. The mind maps turned into very intricate pieces of work! Please feel free to pop into the LC and have a look through your child's project book where the mind maps are recorded.

Below is a selection of photos from the morning, as well as comments and wonderings from the children. 







Louiza – “I learnt that there were lots of cells in your brain.”

Oscar T -  “The left side and right side have different things that they do.”

Jude L -  “The right side is the arty side of the brain.”

Lily -  “The brain is really complicated.”






Alex – “If your right hand moves, then the left side of the brain controls it, if your left hand moves than the right side of the brain controls it.”

Mohamed -  “I learnt some of the names of the different pieces of your brain and I learnt what the different sides to, right side creative, left side logic.”


Ed -  “The left side is really straight and the right side is really loose and creative.”

Alaura -  “There is 86 billion neurons in the brain and they are all connected.”

Lila -  “I learnt the names of some of the brain diseases.”

Bebe -  “The brain is a very important part of the body.”








Mina -  “I wonder how all the brain cells fit together in your head?”

Connor -  “I wonder why the left side controls the right and the opposite?”

Sunday – “I wonder how big your brain is when it stops growing?”







Konstance -  “I wonder how big your brain is?”

Freddy -  “I wonder how your brain knows what to do?”

Isabella L - “I wonder if when your brain stops growing, how it still fits everything inside it?”






Siam -  “I wonder if you didn’t have a brain, would you die?”

Saskia – “I wonder how much equipment scientists have?”

Abbey-Rose -  “I wonder, what do the cells do?”






Kiki – “I wonder how big a bugs brain is?”


Matthew – “I wonder if the brain controls everything in your body, like your heart?”