Hello families, below is a selection of photos from the Merri Creek inquiry presentation day as well as some photos from our Skype session with Jeannie Baker.
Thank you to all the families for your support throughout our recent investigations into the Merri Creek. It was a huge success and the children were all very proud of their efforts.
Yesterday afternoon we were able to set up a skype session with the author who inspired our collages, Jeannie Baker! The children came up with a long list of questions and then narrowed it down to the 10 most important ones they wanted to ask Jeannie Baker. While she was answering the questions some of the children were official 'note takers'. Below is our interview with Jeannie.
1. How long
does it take you to make each collage? (Anika)
Several months and occasionally
it takes only a few days, it all depends how complicated they are.
2. Do you have
a special place where you make your collages? (Kai)
In the lounge on a long table I
have. Sometimes I have a friend who works with me to help me. When I have
dinner I have to clear a bit of space to eat!
3. Do you get
help from others when you are making your books? (Siam)
Yes, I get help from lots of
different types of people. If it is an environmental project I ask specialists
about a particular area I am working on.
4. What gives
you inspiration for your pictures? (Lenny)
My inspiration comes from something I have experienced
in my life and usually something that is important to me.
5. If you didn’t make books, what else would you like to do? (Olive)
There are so many exciting things in the world.
Dancer, explorer, professional artist, writer, animator. If I was an animator,
I would like to work with my own stories.
6. What is
the name of your new book and what is it about? (Isabella)
I am not going to tell you what it is about, but I
will tell you the name of the book is ‘Circle”.
7. What was
your favourite book when you were younger? (Anya)
I liked all the C.S Lewis books like the “Lion the
witch and the wardrobe”. I also enjoyed the Brer Rabbit books. When I was
little there was not as many picture story books around with colour, so they
were black and white.
8. What do
you like about being an author and an illustrator? (Matilda)
It gives me freedom and time to explore things I
really want to explore. I can write anything I want to and explore anything I
want to.
9. How do
you make your collages so realistic? (Bebe)
Sometimes I use real things, like a leaf for a leaf,
grass for grass, fur for fur and things like that.
10. What is
your favourite book that you have made? (Sunday)
The one I am working on is usually my favourite. It
always surprises me and turns out better than I think it will!












































