The Creek Detectives on Another Mission

On Friday we went for another journey down to Merri Creek, to observe any changes to our initial findings. It was optimum weather for the creek detectives to do their finest investigative work.

We were extremely lucky to have Warwick (Lola's dad), who is a landscape architect, spend the session with us. He told us about the fantastic work he does turning drab city buildings into environmentally sustainable hubs, and the importance of having as much greenery as possible in the city.

The detectives got their tools out for their investigations - magnifying glasses, pencils and recording books, cups, tongs, gloves, binoculars, shovels and buckets - and got to work. They recorded their findings by both writing and drawing what they saw. We went back to school and the detective teams compiled their results in their workbooks. 

Many thanks to Warwick for providing his time and expertise for another fun learning experience for Alveare.




"I found a little mosquito-ey thing" - Milo



'I was looking for birds" - Freddie R




"I found a mushroom you can only hold but not eat" - Aleana




"I was looking for slimy things" - Zainab




"I looked in the cracks for bugs" - Ted C




"I was digging looking for bugs under rocks" - Jude E



"We were looking for bugs in the tree" - Sunday



"We found some feathers which was evidence a duck died there" - Oliver



"I measured the temperature of the water" - Abbey-Rose



"I was looking at weird flying ants" - Sangyog



"We looked at the mushrooms and measured them" - Edie



'We found lots of bugs" - Anya



"I found out there was lots of dirt in the water so I found out it wouldn't be healthy" - Javier



"I found out that some types of bugs live under water" - Lilly



"There weren't many bugs that had the red dots on their back this time" - Siam



"We found snails this time because maybe the baby snails weren't born before" - Taya