Welcome to L'Alveare 2014!!
Dear families,
Welcome to 2014. The year is already flying by. We are already up to week four. Your children have all settled in well and it has been our pleasure to hear about their holiday adventures and learn more about them.
Here is a taste of some of the things that are going on at school this term.
In Writing - we are looking at poems and you can help your child by sharing some of your favourite poems with them or encouraging them to identify rhyming words.
In Maths - we have been investigating our favourite books. We have weighed, measured, classified, ordered and are about to start graphing them. We are also looking at time. You can help at home by reading the clock with your child, talking about days, weeks, months and years and using the calendar together.
In Reading - we have started Book Club and the children are working on a variety of areas to help them improve their reading and comprehension. You can help by making reading a daily habit in your house.
Our Big Project - Our big project is an investigation into Merri Creek. We will be looking at the current use of this area and thinking about ways we can make it more sustainable. We will be visiting the creek regularly and have some exciting experts coming in!
Thanks for all of your enthusiasm and positive feedback. We are sure 2014 will be a wonderful year and we hope to work with you to create fantastic outcomes for everyone.
Warm wishes,
Mark, Shona and Katie
Special thanks to Jude for being this issue's photographer.
Here is how the kids think it is going.
Kaden "It's been a good start to the year because I've made lots of new grade one friends"
Isabella "I'm enjoying inquiry because I love plants and animals."
Ed "I've made around three new friends."
Mohamed "I have met lots of preps and made year one friends. I'm comfortable in this LC."
Siam "I am enjoying it because my cousins is in prep now."
Sunday "I like how the year ones are getting more friends."
Ted "My feelings are happy because I can help my buddy a lot this year."
Alex "It is good because Siam's cousin is here in prep. It is also good in my new LC."
Louiza "I am meeting new preps and I like gardening."
Lily "It is great because I am meeting people."
Olivia "I'm happy in the same LC."
Abbey Rose "I like to learn about clocks. It was fun today."
Lizzie "This year I'm learning a lot of new things and I'm writing more especially when I don't sit with all my friends."
Sam "I am happy because I can play with my friends at playtime."
Olive "This year I feel like I am getting more done and I'm more tuned into my learning."
Mohamed "I feel a lot more confident and I have learnt a lot of new things. I'm comfortable."
Saskia "I'm happy that I'm in the same LC as last year and I'm with friends and teachers."