'Faces of Brunswick' Celebration of Learning

                                                          

"Faces of Brunswick" - The Journey


We have been working very hard on this inquiry over two terms and are very proud of what we have achieved. We would like to share with you a little bit about the journey we have been on.

Below are the photos from the presentation day as well as some thoughts and feelings from the children regarding their inquiry.






   


'There were lots of people looking at my poster yesterday and I had a lot of great comments on my work" - Luna


                                               

We started the year exploring the meaning of community. We wanted to explore the statement that “pro-active people make a positive impact on our local and global community”.





 


                                                         
      

We all brought in individual artefacts from home that were special to us. This helped us learn and get to know more about each other.





 

                                      


 "The rubric was used to mark ourselves and our project. We did first in the early weeks of our projects, then we had a few more weeks to work on them. Then we marked our rubric again before the big presentation" - Lila C







Whilst exploring community we looked at how different groups lived and started investigating signs and symbols that were linked to these communities. We went on a ‘community walk’ around Brunswick to find signs and symbols that were present in our area.









                                                           



We moved then to inventing different groups within Alveare and designed crests with signs and symbols on them important to each group. We considered the diverse population that we live in and came up with ways that our new groups could be inclusive of everyone.












" I liked the presentation day because loads of people came to see our work. I was very proud of mine and Charlotte's work" - Zoe







Following that we decided to focus more on the Brunswick community and explored the people that were present within our local community.








                                                         

 

"The project was epic and amazing. I loved designing my project and making my animation" - Dash









"I found the inquiry hard at times. I did learn how graffiti artists help the community" - Kaden






 





Each person chose someone of interest to them in the local community. As an LC we came up with ways we could contact these people and learnt about the difference between open and closed questions. Then fun really began!











"I enjoyed making my poster. I included lots of photos and writing."  - Lilyan





We started to contact the people in our community by email, letters and interviews! Once we had heard back from them and they had answered our questions we all chose different ways to present our findings. 





                                                            





Katie, Mark, Shona and Julie would like to say a big thank you to all the parents and carers in our Learning Community for all your support this semester. We have had a great time learning, exploring and inquiring together! 









                                                            

 


                                                                 






"I was very happy when I finally finished my project!" - Bebe


                                                       

 



                                                                     

 
"We were very proud of the way the children managed their time and were self-directed learners throughout this inquiry and leading up to the presentation" - Shona, Mark & Katie




"I really liked making the video. I didn't have anyone in my group so I choose someone different who I don't usually work with". - Olive




 








                                                                      

 
"I enjoyed the presentation day because lots of people came to see Auguste and my puppet show" - Oskar